Thursday, February 7, 2013

What didn't Work + Research

I tried using a photograph of circular forms that I could use to represent the negative space three dimensionally. I wanted to experiment with half circles and whole circles and attempted creating the piece by cutting dowels. Unfortunately the dowels would crumble or break in half on their own when I tried cutting them. The jagged edges left by my clipping tool made it hard to attach the pieces of wood to the fondation. Eventually, I decided to abandon this method of construction because of how inconsistent and messy the piece was becoming.   






I also tried making some new sketches that have yet to be explained three dimensionally. 





To give me inspiration and to help me learn about materials and how they can be used to create form I have been reading books about architecture and studying work by architects including Peter Zumthor who created the works you see below. (I do not own these images).






Lastly, I was thinking about how we were talking about how our ideas were generated for this thesis project and I want to start really documenting everything that I have be doing in relation to this project. Because I knew I wanted to deal with this subject matter in seminar I decided to take Plasticity and Space, and life drawing II to help understand relationships between forms and how space functions as its own physical entity. These process works I want to use when I create my process book because even though they are created in a separate class for separate purposes they hold the idea that I have been devoting myself to. I think they kind of solidify where I'm coming from so I think some simple documentation as I go along will help me as I focus my attention on creating a work for my thesis project. 









No comments:

Post a Comment