Monday, February 25, 2013

Savikalpa Samadhi

Overview - the Movie

I came across the above video this weekend via a friend, which echoed conversations I shared with David Gatten and Erin Espelie. I'm enthralled with the idea of stepping so far back from everyone that we start to be aware of our own sentience and where we are existing in time, and what that means to how we derive language and place ourselves within a timeline. There is a phrase that's uttered by one astronaut in this movie called "savikalpa samadhi", taken from sanskrit that describes different levels of consciousness. Having "an altered state of consciousness" myself, I want to explore how this has changed my understanding of learning and my place in the stream of life. To quote Lawrence Weiner, "you are in the stream of life whether you like it or not. And if you're going to be in the stream of life you have to accept the responsibilities - I'd like a few more of the pleasures, but there doesn't seem to be time."

Watch the whole interview here: Lawrence Weiner

No comments:

Post a Comment