Monday, February 11, 2013

Gathering New Data & Overview

My Concept:
Everyday one accumulates experiences that are stored as memories. The purpose of humans having memory is to learn and to plan, to let one better predict how future events will unfold in their personal narratives. Many people choose to obsess in their pasts, use their memory to relive events rather than imagine future ones. Nostalgia is a negative use of memory where dreams are positive. It is important that one realizes their accumulation of memory is for use in life's bigger picture and that it is not meant to be dissected and replayed bit by bit.

My Execution:
A series of 8  3inx3in 6 panel accordian booklets (bit by bit) that the reader realizes come together to create 1 18x24in poster. (The bigger picture)
The material in the posters will include data from my personal diary entries from age 15-17.
 - ie: words that come after I, You/Her/His, My, We/Our... (words that deal with ownership much like how negatively people try to own their memories for the sake of the past, the sake of reliving their best, or bleakest moments)
The words will be written in pastel and become mostly illegible through overlapping and rewriting, mistakes, error (memories are ridden with error and are re-written each time they are recalled, events overlap each other and they get mixed up, sometimes they are simply conjured, this execution of written data pulled will exemplify this.)

My Goal:
I want the reader engaged with my project to be presented with small diary sized books, volumes (set of 8) to feel like they are being allowed to read into a private book... memories of a stranger. I want the experience to be delightfully voyeuristic causing the reader to open the books one by one to their full length realizing the books are accordians, then realizing that they fit together. Ultimately I want the readers to realize that the words they tried so hard to read make up a final bigger picture which in its entirety is more interesting than the words themselves signifying that what your memories create is a brighter future for you, and even the most harmful, hurtful, terrible words the picture holds it still can take you somewhere positive. I want the reader to realize that to dwell in the past is to forget the future, that they should dream instead of recall, turn negatives to positives. I want the realization to be a process, but the message to be simple and easily remembered.

My Recent Progress:
choosing colors and writing lists

reviewing my survey responses

deciding colors and emotions...


No comments:

Post a Comment