Monday, March 25, 2013

Photographs, Catalogue and Other Things.








After much consideration I've chosen these four photos to be the ones to display at the show to represent where the colors and patterns derived from. Since everything really did source from photographs I took, these are really important to include in the display. Originally I was going to do them all in color, but after thinking it over for a bit I decided it would look best and portray them best if the ones showing the form/line that informed the patterns to be in black and white and those that inspired color be in color. It makes much more sense to me this way and will look better a set, and less confusing as to what relates to what. I purchased four white frames to hang them in. I went against the idea of the weather wood, worrying that they would take away from the photographs themselves. I've also begun the hunt for some sort of furniture or fixture to display the fabric with. My show cards have come in and have been mailed to family and some professional connections. All the yardage of textiles have been ordered and should be in by the end of this week. The only thing left to design is the catalogue which I would like to have a lot of photography as well as text and an emphasis to 'tell my story'. The biggest idea I have for that is to photograph the textiles in the environment form which they were inspired. I feel like I have all my ducks in a row, I just need to produce the things that are left! And once the fabric comes in, I'll be able to make more headway on the packaging as well as the catalogue. As far as the exhibition, I've been thinking more about the space itself - trying to imagine it without knowing what I'll be working with yet. And I have come up with ideas such as painting the wall space I have (hopefully a corner created by a partition wall near the window?) with one of the neutral colors from my line, and how to cut the drift wood to be flush with the wall -- pain a portion of that as well...?



I could refinish these to be white or with a faux weathered look that I've done on other furniture like this: 

Here are the four white frames:



Inspiration for the catalogue:




Inspiration for the gallery:





Here is a very rough layout for the catalogue. Also, I've switched gears with the logo. After stepping away for a few weeks and now coming back to it and applying the logo on something polished like the catalogue cover (vs. the rough materials of the packaging --- the polished making me think how it needs to look on other documents like a business card, letter head, etc..), it didn't feel right. It didn't feel like it was communicating what I wanted it to anymore. I love it, and spent so much time on it, and I'm not scrapping it forever (I think it'd be great for a line targeting a younger audience), but for this line I need something more polished and sturdy. I'm going with it because the relief I felt when I came up with something new was enough to give me the answer that it's right.

Logo: code light and quaver sans





















No comments:

Post a Comment