Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Max objects as design elements

I spent some time thinking about a title for my project, and came across a phenomenon called synesthesia. Synesthesia is when more than one of a person's individual senses are connected. For example, some people who suffer from synesthesia read numbers, letters and words as having specific colors - "3" always appears green, "B" looks red, etc. Others may equate numbers or letters with specific places in 3 dimensional space or time. Since my project is shaping up to be a combination of sound, visuals and physical movement, Synesthetic seems like an appropriate (working) title.

I then went into Max and started placing objects and routing patch cords in order to create a visual design rather than anything functional in the program. I ended up designing the show title typographically by creating letterforms out of the Max elements. Some of them function in some way or another, but many are standalone and solely exist for the sake of creating the overall letterform.

2 comments:

  1. Ian are you making available any of the max patches? couldnt find any on the MAX community board under your name but maybe you have a different user name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never made them available after graduating but I still have them backed up with my other work. I'd need to refresh my memory a bit on the finer details of how they work, but I'd be happy to help contribute to your project. I should have taken some video of the finished installation in action, but I think with some time and head scratching I can get it set up and working again if you'd like to see the end result.

      Delete