Monday, March 18, 2013

Course Determined

Over break I sifted through the ridiculous amount of research I've accumulated and narrowed down my topic. My focus is now the relationship between man and the sea:

- We challenge our natural boundaries even though we know death is a possible outcome.

- We challenge what is greater than us in an attempt to understand it AND/OR we think if we prove dominance/mastery over that which we do not understand we no longer need to feel intimidated by it, whether we actually understand it or not.

- We ourselves are of nature. Perhaps by challenging the sea we are trying to validate that we do in fact have purpose and meaning; that we are equals of something so incredible as the sea, the earth, the cosmos.

Visual Idea 1:
John had suggested a few weeks ago that I do something with statistics of those who lost their lives whaling, well now that has a purpose because it has to do with the relationship between man and sea.

Visual Idea 2:
Since we use the sea as means of exploration and trade, I plan to have a map with different projections outlining the different routes we've used in the past as well as the routes we use today.

I've continued making rope (while watching Moby Dick), which I feel will soon begin integrating itself into other pieces.




IF THIS IS A BAD DIRECTION, someone please stop me now because I'm about to jump into this current and see it through to the end.

3 comments:

  1. "IF THIS IS A BAD DIRECTION, someone please stop me now because I'm about to jump into this current and see it through to the end."

    Things that Sea Captians have all probably asked, but no one will know their journey until they travel it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a solid direction for you to go in. The outlines you stated at the top give purpose to your work and I believe through your EXPERIMENTATION you will be able to create a body of work (in time for the show) that embodies these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jump. You have been training for this.

    ReplyDelete