Tuesday, March 12, 2013

work

I have had some time to take more photographs. Because I am home there is a dramatic shift in theme because I do not live in a very "urban" area especially in the winter time. There was a pretty big storm off the coast this weekend so the ocean was very angry and I was able to capture some of the action at the end of my street. I also traveled to Kennebunk and Biddeford (Maine) to try and get pictures. I focused on capturing compositional studies that explored visual planes and interactions between space and form as well as interactions between materials and elements (primarily coastal/weather related). 


MORE ON FLICKR!!!! - To see full image explorations visit my flickr page. 










-

* In comparison to my more "urban" footage the photographs document the relationship from where I came from and where I am now. For this reason I am ok with the shift in "theme" because it documents something that is personal to me. Although I relate to these newer images more  than the "urban" ones both explore compositional values that are important to me and which I have been experimenting with throughout my seminar project.* 



I came up with three concepts for my exhibition space. I determined that because I only have one semester of seminar (compared to two) my show may focus on experimentation and the different approaches I have been taking. There are three main components to this #1 Photographs (source), #2 Drawings (2d investigation), and #3 Models (3d involvement) 

- My first idea involves having all three components features with process or "experimentation" notes creating a dialoge in the work.

- My 2nd idea features the drawings and models (which are more abstract) with a book of photographs that serve as a reference of source material. 
(both ideas 1 and 2 are less monumental and more "study" like)


- #3 is a more monumental involvement with larger scale pieces (does not exceed a requirement of 9ft wall space?). It would again feature the 3d and 2d aspects with a book of photographs. 

(these photographic books ARE NOT LIKE the process book they serve more like clinical studies)




Notes: 

What am I trying to say?
Things that I think about:
- Connections within space
- PHYSICAL environment
- Environmental distinctions
- Materials - Effect experience 
- Travel through space (translations)

Architecture and Construction - Involvement w/ creating a space

physical ---- dependent on experience 
emotional ---- dependent on context (learned experience brought to the space) 

- My Hypothesis - 

1 - Space is Effected by the Physical Environment
2 - The physicality of space creates a experience 
3 - there is a division between a physical experience and a emotional connection within a space. - Where experience is dependent on you physical interaction with environment and emotional is dependent on learned context/previous experience 

  



Exhibition Concept #3.5

A series of "environments" that evoke a "experience" visually. 
- this also serves as a connection back to the photographs and my experiences capturing my pictures. - vantage points - space depth and perspective - intervention of space - 



DRAWINGS:


These are a start to the drawing explorations I plan to execute for my exhibition. - with the 2d drawings I am trying to understand space by creating visual connections. I want to create a visual experience of traveling through space. I work by following my photographic compositions and reacting to spacial planes and interventions. I work structurally because I want to clearly dictate where I am traveling through the composition in reaction to form. 

reference photograph: 


drawing from composition: 


reference photograph: 

drawing from composition: 



Reference photograph:




drawing from composition:



DETAILS FROM ABOVE DRAWING:



3D MODELS:


- glass and wood reference photograph above. 









No comments:

Post a Comment