Monday, April 15, 2013

research

I've been doing a lot of research on habit. I started with a suggestion by John McVey on looking at all the various definitions of the word habit, and I've been looking at flow which is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus. It was proposed by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and has six factors to experience it: 1. intense and focused concentration on the present moment, 2. merging of action and awareness, 3. a loss of reflective self-consciousness, 4. a sense of personal control or agency over the situation or activity, 5. a distortion of temporal experience, one's subjective experience of time is altered, 6. experience of the activity as intrinsically rewarding, also referred to as autotelic experience. Flow interested me because in one sense it's the opposite of habit because in a habit you don't focus on what you're doing because it's routine, but it is how habits are learned in specific crafts/expertise.
I've been trying to slow down a little and really research things and not jump the gun on anything yet. I think I'm going to start a sketch book type thing using all of the definitions of habit to express what they mean and what I think they mean as I continue researching so that I'll be able to be creating things as a research piece to help myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment